Position: Principal Accountant
Start Date: 03/2023 – 08/2023
Location: Newark Headquarters – Newark, NJ
Duration: 6 months
Hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Screening: Send resumes and hiring managers will review resumes & then schedule for a video and/or phone interview
- Create and process G/L Journal Entries to ensure timely and accurate reporting of Payroll data.
- Prepare G/L Account Reconciliations (balance sheet/income statement) to ensure proper and accurate account activity.
- Perform and review analyses of Payroll G/L accounts; identify and resolve reconciling items and accounting issues on a timely basis.
- Responsible for the reconciliation, payment, and filing of Payroll Tax withholdings, including.
- Railroad Retirement (RRB) Taxes.
- Establish/verify accurate RRB/Federal/State/Local Tax setup of employee records; based on W4 forms, work state, residence state, Rail vs. Non-Rail status, including employee transfers and new hires.
- Research tax issues using various payroll publications and government websites, summarize findings, and apply to all levels of management.
- Assist and coordinate information requests for internal and external audits.
- Assist with year-end balancing and reconciliation for accuracy of Payroll and W2 reporting.
- Maintain monthly posting of creditable months for RRB reporting.
- Process weekly direct deposit and ACH bank transmissions, positive pay (check) files, and related reconciliations.
- Run queries, manage downloads, and prepare detailed spreadsheets and reports for all levels of management to facilitate the flow of Payroll information and resolve issues.
- Work on system testing and troubleshooting issues, implementing new processes, and periodic vendor upgrades.
- Provide oversight and direction to Payroll union staff in performing tasks.
- Miscellaneous projects as requested by all levels of management.
- Provide excellent Customer Service to all internal/external customers.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business or the equivalent of at least five (5) years of solid Payroll experience.
- Required proficiency in (MS) Excel, spreadsheets, macros, Access databases, and other MS applications.
- Experience with Payroll Journal Entries, Account Reconciliation, Payroll Tax and Deduction regulations.
- A critical thinking self-starter, experience with RRB Tax and Discoverer or Orbit Report Writer a plus.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Last updated on Mar 22, 2023