Do you want to help engineer what’s next?
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge of structures and building enclosures, advanced analysis, code consulting, and applied science & research to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible.
This Geotechnical/Geostructural Engineering position will be part of our team providing a wide array of geotechnical and geostructural engineering services, including investigation, repair, and rehabilitation of a variety of deteriorated or underperforming structures, as well as new design of constructed works. Typical project work includes:
- Leading and directing engineering investigations, analyses, and design of structures that include deep and shallow foundations, ground improvement systems, earth retaining structures, excavation support systems, and adjacent construction.
- Performing analyses related to soil settlement, slope stability, soil dynamics, and groundwater flow and seepage.
- Evaluating earthen embankments/dams/reservoirs, tunnels, and asphalt and concrete pavements.
- Performing analyses and forensic evaluations of failed or deteriorated structures.
- Supporting construction operations for contractors, including new construction, rehabilitation, strengthening, and repair.
- Analyzing claims in design-build projects.
This Geotechnical/Geostructural Engineering position responsibilities will be generally consistent with ASCE Grade IV and will include:
- Preparing proposals, including budgeting and personnel requirements.
- Planning work for approval by your supervisor.
- Conducting assignments requiring only general guidance on the approach to solving unusual problems.
- Managing a complex project or part of a project with responsibility for supervising pertinent work, evaluating results, and preparing reports with minimal assistance.
- Delegating tasks using a coaching relationship for supervising the technical work of project staff.
- Managing direct client contact within existing work while building and nurturing relationships with external project team members.
- Actively contributing to internal technical training.
- Drafting complex letters, formal reports, letter reports, specifications, and proposals with minimal supervisor guidance.
- Leading technical and/or project discussions with clients and external project teams.
What You’ll Need:
- 6+ years of relevant civil engineering experience or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Professional licensure required.
- MS or PhD with a concentration in Geotechnical or Structural Engineering from an ABET-accredited university.
- Affiliation within academia or an industry organization such as AASHTO, ASCE GeoInstitute, Deep Foundations Institute, or other active geotechnical organization, including working on committees, making presentations, authoring articles, or other active participation.
- Demonstrated advanced technical knowledge within your area of technical expertise.
- Ability to integrate the work of several technical experts into an effective solution.
- Prior exposure to similar project types and awareness of related outside technical resources.
- Skill in personal time management and project scope management.
- Ability to identify and manage changes in scope.
- Expertise in computer analysis software (e.g., GEOSLOPE Suite, Slide, Plaxis, LPILEplus, CIVILTech Shoring, DeepEX, Settle3D, etc.)
- Willingness to travel to out-of-state project sites on occasion and ability to travel to remote job sites not accessible by public transportation.
- Valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
What makes careers at SGH so special?
The only way to advance is to question and explore. Every member of the SGH team is both a learner and an educator, committed to advancing ourselves, our teams, and our industry. Together we are creating a community that never settles for what is, but always seeks what could be.
There are many reasons to love SGH.
- Our Work: Our clients trust us to bring clarity and deliver outstanding solutions for their most complex projects.
- Our People: We are bold thinkers and compassionate teammates, committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.
- Our Commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back to our professions and communities.
- Our Contribution: We offer a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email email@example.com.
Last updated on Oct 12, 2023