Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
The Rigging Supervisor will work closely with a variety of departments including; R&D, Art, Modelling, Layout and Animation, to develop, implement, maintain and support character and prop deformation rigs for use in both Layout and Animation. The Rigging Supervisor will deliver the best deformation and animation rigs for a wide range of character styles and art directions so that the Animators can bring the characters to life.
- Designs deformations to create a wide range of motions and facial expressions for the characters according to the storyboard.
- Works closely with the Animators to ensure the characters support the required acting range for the film.
- Follows the brief to produce complex, production-ready, high-quality rig deformations.
- Acts as the primary contact person and is responsible of the department.
- Collaborates and keeps a fluid communication with other departments.
- Assigns the work to each team member, according to his or her skill set.
- Gives guidance to the team, supervises the quality of the work, and works closely with production to complete deadlines.
- Partners with HR and TA to source and recruit the best talent in the industry.
- Mentors potential up-and-coming artists to guide them in their career paths.
- Acts as a company ambassador utilizing his/her extensive network in the industry and plays a key role in selling the studio as a first-class place of work, maintaining ongoing relationships with key industry players, contributing to Skydance’s reputation.
- Keeps up on current technology trends and tools (hardware and software) that best suit the production (and the company) in the development of a stronger creative technical environment.
- Designs and collects Master Rigs that can be re-used as a basis for articulating similar characters or applying existing rigs to newly created character sculpts.
- Writes scripts in Python to facilitate workflow improvements.
- Brainstorms new techniques and ideas for user interfaces, deformation tools, and character-specific rigging solutions.
- Knowledge of the Deformation pipeline, so when we design a rig we have in mind how the deformation pipeline (in Maya) works and how to optimize it, avoiding bottlenecks.
- Have C++ knowledge to prototype plugins that encapsulate parts of the rig to make it simpler and faster.
- Knowledge of Muscle deformation & simulation implementation in a rig like Ziva Dynamics.
- 8+ years in VFX or animation industries.
- 4+ years of experience as Lead in the animation industry.
- A strong creative background as proven leader in setting direction for a production and for inspiring and motivating a team.
- An impressive reel demonstrating attention to facial surface detail, underlying facial anatomy, and credible and organic facial expressions.
- Profound knowledge of the anatomy of facial muscles and their function and figure anatomy, both biped and quadruped characters.
- Advanced English level.
- Spanish oral and written is desirable.
- Develops new techniques, systems, concepts or business opportunities that require maximum level of creative thinking, acting as a pioneer in areas of technical, artistic and creative research.
- Gets others to assume greater responsibility, frequently and voluntarily.
- Promotes teamwork both in and across teams.
- Encourages open communication, and keeps the team informed by transmitting new ideas in presentations or in writing to clearly articulate strategic ideas.
- Adapts and manages changes in strategic needs and priorities and implements new processes to increase productivity.
- Assesses in a precise manner the strengths and areas for improvement to propose developmental needs for the team.
- Enthusiastically shares objectives, encouraging coworkers to reach goals, focusing on their best qualities.
- Deliverables exceed expectations and are accomplished with high levels of professionalism, completeness, commitment and strong work ethic.
- Sense of humor required.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated on Oct 10, 2023