At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create something awesome. And that's where you come in.
We are building the education platform of the future. Canvas is the #1 LMS platform and is used by millions of teachers and students across the globe. We want to modernize our platform, adapt it to the ever changing needs of the EdTech domain and make it more easier, more accessible and more personalized.
Who we are:
- Pioneers: we are the second development centre of Instructure, the first developers placed outside of the states
- On a mission: Our field is education. We strive to elevate student success, amplify the power of teaching, and inspire everyone to learn together.
- Product enthusiasts: We are developing Canvas, our learning management system with so many users worldwide
- Engineers: We love to understand what is happening under the hood. We are generalists, rather than obsessed with one language or framework
- Language independent: currently we are focusing on Node.js and React. The core application was written in Ruby on Rails. If our options change, we adopt.
- Cloud-native: we are one of the biggest AWS customers, everything is Dockerized, running in the cloud
- Productive: our teams have flexibility in how they work, Some use Scrum, others Extreme Programming, whichever fits best.
What you will do:
- Own strategic objectives and key results within a functional area of high complexity.
- Organize your domain into one or more teams by working together with your product and design counterparts to optimize for execution and reduce overhead.
- Maintain exceptional operational efficiency, continuously seeking improvements and innovative solutions.
- Act as a strong partner to product and design teams, ensuring solutions meet business constraints.
- Navigate ambiguity, setting and communicating a clear technical vision that aligns with business needs.
- Engage in technical designs and reviews, prioritizing managerial responsibilities while providing technical leadership.
- Ensure all outputs adhere to the highest standards of quality, fostering customer trust and confidence.
- Enhance team operations across the department, sharing best practices and assisting other managers.
What we look for:
- A minimum of 3 years experience managing large engineering teams, with a history of leading 10 or more engineers to success.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a senior engineer or tech lead, with a demonstrated track record in backend, distributed systems, and big data projects.
- Demonstrated leadership in engineering management, with a proven ability to guide multiple teams through complex project landscapes.
- Track record of operational excellence, adopting lean, collaborative, and agile methodologies partnered with strategic planning and execution skills, which enhance team performance and project delivery.
- Excellent partnership abilities, with a history of successful collaboration with product, design, and other cross-functional teams to achieve shared goals.
Get in on all the awesome of Instructure:
- A fun, friendly, and helpful company culture
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible time off
- Private Medicover healthcare + cafeteria plan/SZEP card
- Employee stock purchase program
- Wellness motivation through PandaFit
- An extra week off for the whole company every year
- Employee recognition program
- Goal-setting, proactive reviews, and internal training
- Employee assistance program
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.
Last updated on Feb 9, 2024