Sanitation Workers clean the streets/sidewalks/plazas (outdoors) of Times Square in all-weather conditions. It is the responsibility of a Sanitation Worker to perform the following tasks/duties:
- Sweep sidewalks of all litter and up to 18 inches into the roadway. The litter is placed in a barrel that the employee pushes and can weigh up to 30lbs.
- Sweep plazas of all litter.
- Inform Supervisors of severe litter conditions and Street/Sidewalk encumbrances and other conditions that may be a Quality-of-Life Issue including but not limited to: Broken barricades, Abandoned Garbage, Graffiti, Unauthorized Stickers, Homeless Conditions, Damaged Garbage Cans
- Remove stickers/graffiti from poles, buildings, etc. (when assigned)
- Empty all city owned and Alliance Owned litter baskets on your assigned route
- In the event of snow, clear crosswalks and catch basins including Duffy Square.
- Provide support for Alliance sponsored events.
- Remove litter and debris as needed after special events.
- Clear Plazas of all Planters, tables, chairs, and umbrellas prior to and return them after an event.
- Move litter baskets when requested to do so including the BigBelly Solar receptacles.
- Water plants as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to push a 40-gallon tank to distribute water in the planters.
- Must be able to push a 2 cu.yd mobile bin filled with 7 or 8 trash bags to the drop point
- Must be able to lift to 40 lbs. bags of garbage. ((At times, may lift up to 70 lb. bollards, etc.)
- Must be able to stand and walk for up to 4 hours while on route.
- Must be respectful and polite to the public. This includes providing your name to the public, especially to NYPD, FDNY and other public officials and workers.
- Must be able to respond and carry out tasks assigned in a timely and orderly fashion.
- Must be available to work major Alliance sponsored events such as Taste of Times Square, New Year’s Eve, and Summer Solstice.
- Must be able to maintain a good attendance record.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
Salary: $19 an hour
The Times Square Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Last updated on Aug 29, 2022