Build the future of data. Join the Snowflake team.
There is only one Data Cloud. Snowflake’s founders started from scratch and designed a data platform built for the cloud that is effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. But it didn’t stop there. They engineered Snowflake to power the Data Cloud, where thousands of organizations unlock the value of their data with near-unlimited scale, concurrency, and performance. This is our vision: a world with endless insights to tackle the challenges & opportunities of today and reveal the possibilities of tomorrow.
As the manager for the Data Orchestration Platform team in Data Pipelines, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in the design and development of our existing Snowflake Tasks product and developing brand new 0-1 product to support durable execution. You will play a pivotal role in shaping the platform's roadmap, defining technical strategy, and ensuring the successful delivery of projects. By collaborating closely with cross-functional teams, including product management, and engineering, you will align platform development with customer needs and market trends.
AS AN ENGINEERING MANAGER AT SNOWFLAKE, YOU WILL:
- Lead a team of talented and high-performing engineers in the design, development, and support of highly distributed and scalable data platforms, with a specific focus on enabling complex data orchestration use cases.
- Lead and participate in technical design and roadmap discussions relating to areas like compute optimization, serverless execution, performance, and scalability.
- Have direct ownership of growing a strategic and emerging part of Snowflake’s business to address existing and expanding market opportunities in data engineering workloads.
- Have a direct impact on the growth and development of your team through mentorship, coaching, and identifying other growth opportunities.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills and the ability to work seamlessly across teams and organizations. Partner well with other leaders in the Engineering and Product organizations on initiatives like annual & quarterly planning, staffing, project schedules, resource allocation, and more.
- Be comfortable and effective in delegation - effectively leveraging senior engineers to maximize your team’s impact.
- Know when and how to shift resources across areas to achieve execution goals, while also ensuring effective ownership and longer-term alignment of work and skills.
- Translate product requirements into engineering work for your team, partnering closely with peers in Product and other disciplines - to make our vision a reality!
- Use your strong technical foundation to set the bar for your team - build to last, deliver, and keep the quality exceptionally high.
- Grow the team by active recruiting and hiring.
- Foster a healthy and diverse team culture.
OUR IDEAL ENGINEERING MANAGER WILL HAVE:
- 7+ years industry experience designing and building distributed data systems.
- 3+ years of software engineering management experience.
- A track record of recruiting, leading, and growing high performing technical teams in a demanding talent market.
- Experience building enterprise grade software - reliable, secure, and trustworthy platforms and distributed systems at large scale.
- Excellent problem solving skills, and strong CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- Proven experience with authoring roadmap documents, project plans and RCAs.
- Fluency in Java or C++.
- Ability to work in a globally distributed team, collaborate well across disciplines, and mentor junior engineers.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Outstanding written and oral English language skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Ability to work on-site in our Bellevue, WA office.
BONUS POINTS FOR EXPERIENCE WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- Experience building fundamental blocks supporting event driven applications for transactional workloads.
- Operational experience with modern data orchestration systems such as Airflow, Matillion, Temporal.io etc.
- Internal design and implementation of durable execution systems a plus.
WHY BE AN ENGINEERING MANAGER FOR DATA ORCHESTRATION AT SNOWFLAKE?
This is an excellent opportunity to:
- Lead and grow an exceptional team of high performing engineers - industry veterans, rising stars - in building game changing capabilities for the industry leading data cloud platform.
- Opportunity to join in and take ownership of a fast moving and critical area for the company.
- Take charge of your career - this role will push you to grow, both technically and as a leader, in a supportive leadership environment.
Every Snowflake employee is expected to follow the company’s confidentiality and security standards for handling sensitive data. Snowflake employees must abide by the company’s data security plan as an essential part of their duties. It is every employee's duty to keep customer information secure and confidential.
Last updated on Feb 12, 2024