At Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY), our greatest strengths are the employees who empower every individual with the information, resources, and care they need to live happy, healthy lives.
We are a team of trusted health care providers, educators, and fierce advocates committed to advancing equity and improving health outcomes in communities that face systemic barriers to quality, innovative sexual and reproductive health services -- including birth control, pregnancy testing, emergency contraception, cancer screenings, STI testing and treatment, HIV testing and prevention, transgender hormone therapy, wellness exams, crisis counseling, and financial counseling. PPGNY also proudly provides compassionate, nonjudgmental abortion services.
Picture yourself here:
As part of a multi-disciplinary team providing medical care, the PCA is responsible for patient intake in the clinic and front desk, obtaining complete medical history, provides education about human sexuality, family planning, abortion, colposcopy, LEEP and general health education, as applicable.
What the Patient Care Associate does:
- Reviews the patient health history for completeness and records findings. Alerts APC regarding critical information about the patient chief complaint, history of present illness, and other patient information.
- Documents competently in the electronic medical record using the correct PPGNY templates and forms.
- Assists in promoting optimum center operations, excellent patient service and compliance with both agency and funding source policies and regulations.
- Adheres to affiliate goals and policies on professionalism, wait time in-clinic and on the phone, and the system for addressing client complaints.
- Assess flow of patients through health center to minimize patient wait times.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new clinic staff, as indicated
- Ensures charge capture and financial reporting by accurately documenting in EHR and completing CVR data as appropriate for all medical and counseling services provided.
- Ensures access to interpreter services for patients with communication barriers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Provides health education and care related to sexual and reproductive healthcare
- Provide accurate patient centered, non-judgmental, education according to MS&G and signs informed consent related to visit.
- Performs laboratory tests as ordered, completes laboratory requisitions, and packages labs for transport according to PPGNY lab procedures. Runs Daily Controls.
- Performs clinic opening and closing duties; clinic and equipment cleaning; re-stocking supplies, etc. Reports facility and equipment issues, as indicated
- Follows all lab and quality assurance protocols; uses appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and infection control precautions
- Assists in abortion service in a variety of functions as needed, including abortion counseling, Products of Conception (POC) room, float and assisting in surgical room.
- Attends monthly didactics and incorporates information into daily care provision.
- Maintains clinical skills and competencies as required by PPGNY, PPFA, and NYS DOH. Participates in annual competency checks and training for all new services, tests, and skills as assigned.
- Maintains up-to-date Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- High school diploma/GED
- Medical Assistant certification from an accredited school or program
- Minimum 1 year of work experience as a Medical Assistant
- A demonstrated commitment to PPGNY’s mission related to bodily autonomy, health equity, and gender and racial justice
- Experience with Electronic Health Records
- Superior customer service and teamwork skills
- Flexibility in work schedule including non-consecutive workdays, evenings or Saturdays
- You are interested in expanding your analysis and knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society, and are committed to building and/or deepening your commitment to racial equity in your work
What makes you stand out:
- Previous experience working with electronic health record.
- Proficiency in other languages
- Prior Planned Parenthood employment
- Prior health care employment
- Previous experience in a high-volume customer service role
- Work experience in Sexual Reproductive Health
- Work experience in Phlebotomy, Urinalysis, Pregnancy Testing, Rapid HIV Testing
- Knowledge of Medicaid screening
- Tuesday 8a-7p, Wednesday 8a-7p, Thursday, 8am-5:30pm, Friday 8a-6p including Saturdays 8a-5p (subject to change based on business need)
PPGNY's benefits package includes:
Generous PTO and holiday schedule
Medical, dental and vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
FSA, HSA, Commuter pre-tax reimbursement funds
Short and Long Term Disability, Free Basic Life and AD&D
401(k) Retirement Plan with Safe Harbor contributions after 1 year of employment
All positions at PPGNY require:
Proof of immunization or immunity to certain communicable diseases (including influenza during the flu season and Covid-19) and testing for tuberculosis. These certifications are required by the NYC DOHMH Health Code, NYSDOH and OSHA.
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) is a leading provider, educator, and advocate of sexual and reproductive health care in New York State. PPGNY is proud to provide a wide-range of family planning services at our 28 health centers and mobile care units. We care for everyone regardless of their immigration status, zip code or ability to pay. PPGNY’s education and outreach programs are backed by medically-accurate, evidence-based information that allows people to make informed decisions about their health and future. As a voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY supports legislation and policies that ensure all New Yorkers have access to the full range of reproductive health care and education.
At PPGNY, we provide the absolute best care to our patients and our communities through innovative health care delivery and education programming. We care for everyone who walks through our doors regardless of insurance, ability to pay or immigration status. As a leading voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY fiercely advocates for policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPGNY is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe we are most impactful when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Last updated on Oct 2, 2023