Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers.
The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
About You and The Role
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies on multiple continents, 7 days a week. We believe access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. In service of our mission to operate at global scale, we’re growing our perception capabilities, to expand quickly and safely into new products and locations, with the ultimate goal of delivering essential packages right to your doorstep. Our perception team is looking for a state estimation and 3D object tracking expert who is passionate about developing perception systems for the real world.
What You'll Do
- Build the next generation of long-range aircraft and airborne object tracking - you will help keep our Zips safe in crowded airspaces
- Integrate and fuse data from multiple sensing modalities and upstream detectors
- Contribute to architectural decisions around representing and tracking ground obstacles in increasingly dense environments
- Investigate applications of machine learning to object tracking, and make trades between classical and ML-based approaches
- Maintain a tight interaction loop with upstream ML engineers and downstream Behaviors/Planning engineers. You will contribute to defining Perception’s output interfaces.
- Contribute to building acausal, offboard tracking systems that help us scale our labeled data
- Develop tools, processes and metrics to enable introspection and data-driven iteration on tracking algorithms
- Work with Perception Platform engineers to take your algorithms from prototype to production
What You'll Bring
- 5+ years of professional experience developing software for hardware products in a safety-critical field, e.g. aerospace, robotics, medical devices, autonomous vehicles
- Strong mathematical background in Bayesian statistics and Monte-Carlo methods with applications to filtering and state estimation
- Industry experience building data association, track management, and optimization algorithms for multi-object tracking
- Curiosity and exposure to machine learning techniques for object tracking
- Strong software engineering skills, with mastery of relevant languages like Python and C++ (bonus: Rust!)
- Generalist mindset, with the ability to work cross platform, from spooling up cloud compute services to optimizing for embedded systems
- Experience building reproducible data pipelines, metrics, and analysis tools
- Experience deploying trackers on real robots
What Else You Need to Know
The starting cash range for this role is $180,000 - $225,000. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, working location, and projected impact. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Last updated on Oct 2, 2023