The Principal Software Engineer position will work directly with the Architects for the design of Technical solutions and be accountable for managing and the delivery of the solution. This role will have ownership over the delivery of multiple, complex business facing technologies (ecosystem) to deliver business outcomes. This position will lead the design, coding, testing, and documenting of software solutions and perform tests to validate the code. This role will be in a management capacity with other developers through required feature updates, code management, and requirement implementation. This role will also be responsible for application security remediation and impact analysis. In addition, this role will mentor and coach other developers and lead technical aspects of applications.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work directly with the Architects for the design of technical solutions and be accountable for managing and the delivery of the solution.
- Mentor and coach other developers and provide input on performance evaluations.
- Lead other developers through required feature updates, code management, and requirement implementation.
- Own the technical aspects of the function, including a full suite of critical SaaS/3rd Party/Custom applications.
- Ownership over the delivery of multiple, complex business facing technologies (ecosystem) to deliver business outcomes.
- Bring expertise to initiatives, guiding the organization with respect to system impact and change.
- Implement, enhance, and support ERP applications (on premise or cloud) specifically focused on Payables, Fixed Assets, General ledger, Consolidation schemas.
- Lead the design, coding, testing, and documenting of software solutions that are high performing and intuitive, adhering to F&G’s software development methodologies, frameworks, standards, and security requirements.
- Perform unit, regression, security, and load tests to validate the readiness of internally and externally developed code for production as required.
- Lead application security remediation in collaboration with Security team
- Develop complex programs to support transactional processing and reg reporting.
- Perform impact analysis for new requirements or system changes affecting the applications environment, develop estimates for project and maintenance work.
- Create the strategy for the translation of business needs into technical solutions.
- Design custom or 3rd-party solutions and their integrations
- Work directly with Solution Architects to design functional solutions and roadmaps for delivery.
- Review code to ensure it aligns with architecture standards.
- Participate in selection and oversight of third-party contracts and solution providers.
- Independently direct cross-functional team in design and solutioning
- Contribute individually to project and solution outcomes.
- Provide technical subject matter expertise on multiple, concurrent complex projects.
- Strategize with business and technology stakeholders to define future-state business capabilities & requirements and translate into transitional and target state architectures.
- Provide support to management on build vs buy decisions.
Experience & Education Requirements
- Bachelor's degree (preferred emphasis in Computer Science or MIS) or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 10+ years of hands-on technical experience in designing and building applications and interfaces, Data Analysis, or similar
- Significant experience with various SDLC methodologies (Agile, Waterfall, etc.)
- Prior leadership experience
- Experience working in ETL tools such as Informatica, Boomi
- Hands-on experience with finance schemas such as Payables, Fixed Assets, General Ledger, and Consolidations
- Experience migrating and influencing finance organizations in moving from Excel-based processes to auditable cloud based financial and analytic systems and tools.
- Significant experience in design, review and writing complex code.
- Prior experience working in an effective SOX/internal control environment.
- Experience with API management platforms such as MuleSoft, Azure API Management, AWS API Gateway, or Apigee
- Experience developing in multiple databases, including SQL server and/or Oracle
- Experience within a Financial Services/Insurer’s IT Organization
- Experience with large Oracle database instances
- table and index partitioning
- complex multi-CTE query construction and debugging
- tuning of high data volume queries
- analytic functions
- dynamic SQL
- complex PL/SQL packages
Skills & Abilities
- Self-starter with a high energy level and willingness to take on responsibilities
- Proven verbal, written communication, and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent ability to think analytically and solve problems.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Ability to create clear, concise technical documentation suitable for varied audiences
- Ability to develop good relationships with vendors and their technical resources
- Ability to create strong, collaborative relationships with business partners
- Ability to mentor others
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and build software to solve complex problems
- Ability to act as a project lead within an initiative including strategy, design, implementation, reporting, and providing status updates to management
F&G believes in an employee-centric flexible environment, which is why we offer the ability for in-office, hybrid and remote work arrangements. During the hiring process, you'll work with your leader to decide what works best for your role.
Join our employee-centric hybrid work environment: F&G Careers
Since 1959, Fidelity & Guaranty Life Insurance Company (F&G) has offered annuity and life insurance products to those who are seeking security in retirement and protection during life’s unexpected events.
As a national Top Workplace1, an Iowa Top Workplace2 and a proud equal opportunity employer, F&G team members are empowered, collaborative, dynamic and authentic. We believe that by embracing these values, we will continue to build and strengthen the company while continuing to be a great place to work.
1Top Workplaces USA 2022 – 2023
2Des Moines Register Top Workplaces 2018 – 2022
Notice for all Applicants who are California residents under the California Privacy Rights Act. Please click here to review the policy.
Last updated on Oct 9, 2023