Reports directly to the Nursing Supervisor and responsible for providing professional nursing care for clinic patients following established standards and practices. Also assists physicians and staff in coordinating patient care, and functions as primary liaison between patients, staff and physician.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with the physician and other team members to execute nursing interventions by incorporating appropriate standards of care and practice and patient outcomes
• Assessment and data collection related to patient health status and works with the Urgent Care team to develop plan of care
• Encourage patient to seek primary care for Urgent Care follow up visits in conjunction with the patient, family and/or other care providers
• Establish primary care provider for continuity of care
• Evaluate patient’s response to established plan of care and continue to collaborate with Urgent Care team members for any adjustment as needed
• Assume responsibility and accountability for effectively managing nursing care of individual patients
• Document nursing assessment and interventions to reflect comprehensive and integrated approach to patient care
• Review documentation with Urgent Care provider as needed
• Implement teach-back method as necessary
• Provide care that is safe, ethical and patient and family centered, culturally sensitive and evidenced based
• Urgent Care nurse should be able to perform the following:
o Telephone and in-person triage
o Review lab and radiology results with provider as necessary
o Initiate and monitor intravenous (IV) infusions
o Perform procedures (i.e. ECGs, dressing changes, subcutaneous or intra-muscular injections, etc.)
o Patient education
o Assist patient with medication management
o Assist team members with urgent or emergent patient care situations
o Respond to medical emergencies within the clinic
• Performs other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Education and Experience:
1. Graduate of Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing; License is required.
2. CPR/BLS Certification must be current.
3. Minimum one (1) year experience with impressive track record in providing professional nursing care for clinic patients, basic knowledge of cardiac rhythms, central lines and infection control.
4. Must have the appropriate level of behavioral maturity and patience in handling patients.
5. Must have the diplomacy and tact in handling difficult and irate patients.
6. Very good interpersonal relationship skills and can work and relate well with co-employees, patients and customers.
7. Knowledgeable in clinical assessments and judgments
8. Ability to educate staff and attend in-service education as necessary for the department
9. Provide counseling and emotional support to patient as needed
10. Must have strong sensitivity to the needs and anxieties of patients and the ability to motivate patients to undergo treatments and/or procedures.
11. Strong ethics and a high level of personal and professional integrity.
12. Computer literate and very highly proficient in using MS office programs.
13. Must be able to maintain confidentiality of medical records.
Last updated on Oct 19, 2023