Dentists are medical healthcare professionals who focus specifically on the oral and dental hygiene of their patients. The General Dentist reports directly to the Sr. Business Manager and responsible for conducting examination on teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, and other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments. Designs, makes and fits prosthodontic appliances such as space maintainers, bridges, and dentures, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for denturists and dental technicians.
I. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Examines teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, and other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and creates treatment plans to maintain or restore the oral health of their patients.
2. Uses masks, gloves and safety glasses to protect themselves and their patients from infectious diseases.
3. Administers anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures; while ensuring the safe administration of anesthetics.
4. Promotes oral health and disease prevention and formulates plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue.
5. Uses air turbine and handle instruments, dental appliances and surgical implements.
6. Advises and instructs patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, and oral health care services.
7. Designs, makes and fits prosthodontic appliances such as space maintainers, bridges, and dentures, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for denturists and dental technicians.
8. Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth, gums and related oral structures, and provide preventive and corrective services.
9. Performs periodical and routine oral surgeries/procedures such as tooth extractions, preparing and placing fillings or administering anesthetics carry potential risks of complications such as infection, temporary or even permanent nerve damage, prolonged bleeding, hematomas and pain.
10. Writes prescriptions for antibiotics and other medications.
11. Analyzes and evaluates dental needs to determine changes and trends in patterns of dental disease.
12. Eliminates irritating margins of fillings and corrects occlusions, using dental instruments.
13. Completes and updates patient records and comply with HIPAA and other regulations.
14. Promotes and ensures highest standards of hygienic precautions and infection control.
15. Bleaches, cleans or polishes teeth to restore natural color.
16. Plans, organizes and maintains dental health programs.
17. Produces and evaluates dental health educational materials.
18. Performs other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
II. Experience & Specifications
1. Graduate of Doctor of Dental Surgery or Doctor of Dental Medicine, GU License is required.
2. Previous formal experience is not required.
3. Must have the appropriate level of behavioral maturity and patience in handling patients.
4. Excellent communication, time management and interpersonal relationship skills and can work and relate well with co-employees and customers.
5. Very good manual dexterity skills.
6. Outstanding ability to communicate instructions and procedures for treatments, keeping the patients and giving them the desired level of comfort and confidence.
7. Must have strong sensitivity to the needs and anxieties of patients and the ability to motivate patients to undergo treatments and procedures.
8. Strong ethics and a high level of personal and professional integrity.
Last updated on Aug 19, 2023