Job Title: Maintenance Worker
Classification: Maintenance Worker
Pay Range (based on experience): $13.25 - $18.38 per hour
Pay Grade: 12
Location / Department: Xenia/ Operations
Reports to: Operations Manager
Employment Status: Part Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt | Bargaining Unit
Hours: Part time, 25 hours per week
To promote the mission and values of the Greene County Public Library. To carry out objectives and goals of the strategic plan to better serve the community. To perform a wide variety of general building maintenance and repair tasks of a semi-skilled and skilled nature; assists in routine grounds keeping; performs custodial functions as needed throughout the library system.
Essential Job Functions
- Assembly & Repair – Assembles, repairs and installs file cabinets, coat racks, shelving, desks, tables and other related items.
- Plumbing - Installs replacement plumbing fixtures and cleans stopped drains; repairs leaky faucets and pipes.
- Electric - Changes lights and lighting fixtures (bulbs and ballast), as needed.
- Delivery - Loads and unloads boxes, supplies, and furniture from delivery trucks. Operates as the back-up delivery person to and from libraries within the system.
- Basic Carpentry – Performs tasks related to wall, floor, and other building improvements.
- Painting – Preps walls, repairs drywall, and paints.
- Lawn Equipment – Performs preventative maintenance and upkeep, including oil changes, spark plug replacement, and other related tasks as needed.
- Set-up - Sets ups and arranges tables and chairs in meeting rooms, as needed.
- Outdoor work - Assists in lawn care, parking lot up-keep, snow shoveling, and garbage removal.
- Training - Participates in training classes as needed, including Library Safety, OSHA and related programs.
- HVAC - Responsible for basic preventative maintenance, changing filters and cleaning as needed.
- Special Projects – Assists departments and branches with special facilities projects as needed.
- Interacts with vendors to provide information and answer questions, as needed and directed by supervisor.
- Keeps abreast of information by regularly reading email, minutes and staff website as well as attending staff meetings.
- Performs tasks of lower level classifications as necessary.
- The supervisor may require other related duties. These duties are nonessential functions of this position.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to maintain good relations with the public and with staff; showing tact and courtesy.
- Ability to utilize automated electronic ticketing system to track and carry out job duties; read and follow up on email correspondence.
- Proven experience and/or knowledge in building and grounds maintenance and janitorial procedures.
- Proven experience and/or knowledge of basic mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and structural systems.
- Ability to use hand tools, power tools, electrical materials, plumbing equipment, painting/patching materials, and cleaning supplies.
- Ability to take direction and follow detailed instructions; written and oral.
- Ability to cooperate and work with diverse personalities.
- Ability to handle routine problems, work with minimal supervision and keep supervisor informed of departmental needs and concerns.
- Graduation from high school; or equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skill, and ability.
- Minimum of 2 (two) years maintenance, custodial, or related experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver's License and meet requirements for driver insurability, as verified through the Library’s Insurance Company; ability to operate 3/4 ton van safely.
- Must be able to attend and successfully complete defensive driving training course.
- May be called at any time to handle maintenance emergencies at any library within the system.
- Must be able to move items related to maintenance. This includes delivery of supplies, furniture, books, and delivery bins. Items could weigh up to 100 lbs. Will be bending, stooping, reaching, and working on 15-foot ladders.
- The library pays an amount equal to 14% of each employee’s salary into the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System, the employee pays 10% to OPERS
- The library contributes a percentage of the employee’s salary for Medicare
- Vacation (10 days per year)
- Sick leave (12 days credit per year)
- Personal leave (3 days credit per year)
- Holidays, including birthday (10 days possible per year, depending on scheduling)
- Merit time off, if warranted
- Bereavement time, if needed
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and eligible family members
- Voluntary participation in the Ohio Deferred Compensation Plan
- Eligibility for Tuition Reimbursement program after one full year of employment (between $2000 and $2800 per year depending on the subject being studied)
- Dental insurance: employer pays for a single premium amount based on the amount of budgeted hours; additional coverage for dependents is at employee expense
Last updated on Jun 26, 2023